Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mama Hangover

Today my mom and I wrapped up a too-short 11-day visit with a teary airport goodbye. When Jeff, Harper, and I got home, I couldn't help but sense that she was supposed to be there with us. Now I'm left with a sad, heartsick feeling that's not unlike the heartache-y hangover of a long distance relationship. I suppose that's more or less what we have now. The absolute worst part is not knowing when our next visit will be. Sigh.

We had the best time though. We went to the zoo, cooked and devoured some incredible Filipino food (my version of comfort food), shopped, laughed so hard we cried, shared in some guilty pleasures, and enjoyed one another's company. She spent quality time with Harper (who was surprisingly comfortable with her), and even got some of those priceless toddler laughs with that edge of mania to it.

And best of all? She was my personal trainer for 11 days, helping me start my Couch to 5k program. We found a pace that works for me and she gave me quite a few tips that will stick with me while I work my way towards the 5k. It's only week 2 and I'm already covering 2 miles with a combination of walking and jogging. I'm a little nervous about my first morning without her, but I'll continue to push on, imagining her there with me - cheering me all the way.

I love my mom SO much. I've spent too many years away from my family in California. Can you believe I haven't spent a Christmas there since I was a teenager? In a few years I'll have spent more holidays away from my family than with them. Sad thought, isn't it?

I know, I'm such a downer! Well, you all should take a few moments to appreciate your mom right now with the biggest hug you have to give her. And if you can't do that right now, you should call her to tell her how great she is. And if you can't do that, just speak the words out loud so she can hear it in your heart: "I love you, mama". After all, our hearts are always connected to our mothers no matter where they are or what our circumstances may be.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails