Sunday, September 12, 2010

Gargantuan Cranium

I'm sure none of you will be surprised to learn that I was in marching band in school. Yep, I was in band from 4th - 10th grade (I quit before my junior year because of terrible experiences with the new band instructor). And yes - I played the flute. Go ahead, I'll pause while you play the band camp joke in your head...



...Now that we've gotten that out of the way, back to the story. My high school band's uniform was made up of a stiff blue and gold polyester getup, completed with giant white q-tip hat. (No, I will not supply you with a picture. You already have enough fuel to tease me for quite some time now. I attended Benicia High School. If you feel so inclined, Google it. ) Just before the start of marching season, we would all have to get down to our skivvies for uniform fittings. The worst part of this for me was always the q-tip fitting. The "band moms" were always shocked at my enormous hat size. It was so big that they barely were able to find a hat big enough to fit me. Even then, the only one they could find was always far too tight. So embarrassing. I almost forget why I'm telling you all this.

Anyway, I have a big head. 24". That is an XL for those of you paying attention. So what will disguise a big head? An even bigger hat, of course!

Using Knit Picks Swish yarn in Coal, I knit up this enormous slouchy hat. Sure, I cast on a few too many stitches so it's super loose, but I like it anyway. After all, slouchy hats are supposed to be pretty dang big. It will fit all my hair inside, even when I have it pulled up or back. Best of all, it covers my gray spots!

I just loved turning this...


Into this...

Yes... yuck: I posted a picture of myself when I don't normally. I'll get over it so long as I don't think about it long enough to delete it. Really its to show off my knitting (just look at those little stitches!), which according to Jeff, I need to do more often.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails