Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Gulp of Bittersweet

I adore Seattle. Jeff and I coincidentally (and individually) have wanted to move up here for the longest time. It was a dream come true when we finally did. We love the striking greenery of the Emerald City, and the friendliness of the entire area. We love the lakes, the rain, and the people we've met. It has been a great year and a half. It's hard to believe it's only been that long, since Seattle rapidly became the home of our hearts.

We made a tough decision during this past week or so. We've decided to move to Utah. The decision was entirely made with our family in mind. We would love to stay, but it makes sense to move from a financial standpoint, as well as the advantage of having so much family in Utah. Work has presented Jeff with an opportunity to transfer his job (since they're closing his department in Bellevue), and my job location is quite flexible, so I can transfer as well. Though my heart is somewhat heavy to leave this place, I know that it will mean better care for Harper, and more time with him. Thus, the big gulp of bittersweet... We were even sad to say goodbye to my OB and her nurse yesterday during my 6-week post-op/postpartum appointment. They were disappointed that we're moving, as we've developed a special bond over the last year.

I know the riskiness of promising that any home is or isn't permanent. At age 18, I thought I'd only live in Arizona for a few years, then move up to Washington - but I was there for eight (long, hot) years. Jeff and I thought we'd be here in Seattle for a very very long time, but it looks like we'll be leaving just shy of two years. I'd like to say that we'll be back after about five years or so, but only time will tell. They say everything changes when you have a baby... and that includes the degree of sacrifices and compromises you're willing to make. Honestly, it is all worth it.

S

5 comments:

  1. It seems in our lives things usually don't go as we had planned but that isn't always a bad thing in the long run.

    We are so excited to have you guys closer and we cant wait to see Harper. Scott was in the best mood for days after Jeff told him. I didn't realize and I don't think he realized how much he missed Jeff until now. Him and Bayler talk about all the things they can do together again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA! We are SO excited to have you closer! Seattle is a great place to go back and visit! But we hope you love Utah too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you get to live close to some family. I think having a baby does change everything. I've been fine living in Georgia, but since Cooper has been born I think more and more about wanting him to grow up with family close by.

    I know our move won't be until at least after the new year or maybe longer,but hopefully we will eventually make it out there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I can't believe it! That is awesome though as you will be surrounded by Jeff's awesome family. Are you going to put your house on the market then? Wait till you sell till you move? When are you planning to move! So many questions I have!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are moving to Utah!!! Awesome. I live in Utah. We can be neighbors. Sweet. By the way... Baby is way cute.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails