Thursday, August 12, 2010

Upcycling

As I become increasingly budget-conscious, I try to think of different ways to save money with my crafting and decorating (a.k.a. money-sinks). I've decided to try my hand at plarn creations. Yes, you heard it right: plarn. Penny pinchers and green crafters gave the name "plarn" to yarn made from plastic bags. Preparing the bags takes a bit of time, and I still need to toy with needle/hook gauge, but I'm having fun so far. I plan to make a tote bag from old grocery bags once I get the hang of it. I'm also going to cut up old t-shirts in a similar way to make yarn from old t-shirts. I'll crochet a rug with those.

Upcycling is taking something useless or otherwise disposable, and turning it into something new or with a better use/purpose. Do you have any upcycling projects that you've completed, or are interested in exploring?

2 comments:

  1. wow, I'm impressed! Can't wait to see your finished projects. I'm impressed with your list also You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I cant wait to show you the plastic bag project. You may want to try it once you see how it comes out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails