Monday, June 3, 2013

Readiness

Norah's ventilators: a sight for sore eyes.
This is really happening. Tomorrow morning (Tuesday), Norah will have been on the home vent for two weeks. On Wednesday, we'll be formally setting a discharge date. A DISCHARGE DATE!!

Am I nervous? Yes and no. We are so totally ready, but of course I have a natural amount of worry. Norah's life will now be in our hands. The reality of having a child dependent on technology and interventions, is that bad things can happen anytime and anywhere. They can happen at home or the hospital. They can happen in bed asleep or awake and active. They can happen under any circumstance. We have lived with this stress for the last two years... The only difference is that we'll now be the healthcare providers. And I couldn't be more thrilled.

We have had a lot of time to learn everything we could about Norah's needs. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked (even by doctors) if I'm in healthcare. I always giggle and tell them that it only seems that way because I know Norah really well. So we've learned to care for her, just as one would hope any parent would care for and love their child. Norah's needs just happen to be a little more complicated.


2 comments:

  1. So, so excited for you!!! And LOVE seeing that ol' Draeger on "standby." {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shauna, I am so excited for you! I have just recently started following your blog because of my profession. I work for Harmony Home Health in their Pediatrics department. I am a case manager for their private duty nursing department. You have had such a long journey and I am so glad that you get to bring her home soon! I am sure the discharge planners up at Davis will give you your options but I just wanted to put a plug in for Harmony. We are the largest PDN company in the state. All of our nurses have been trained on the Trilogy. We have some great nurses who are available that I know you could trust your sweet Nora to. The great thing about going with a larger company is that there is a larger pool of nurses to pull from in case of emergency (nurse is sick, etc). We have worked some with South Davis so we can make your transition really smooth. You have a lot of decisions to make over the next little while so please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about private duty nursing. I would love to answer anything you ask. 801-743-1404. Congratulations!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails