Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What? I'm going to have a baby?!

One would assume that after many months of being (very) pregnant, that I'd become aware of the fact that I'm going to be a mother. Yes, fifth grade health class taught me that making it this far through pregnancy typically led to parenthood. I've been around quite a few pregnant women before, and have actually been in the room during a live birth. BUT - there was something about today's appointment that led me to realize that motherhood is knocking on my door. So much for four weeks left... the doc is guessing two! She said that during next week's appointment (Monday), we'll be talking about inducing labor and/or planning a c-section for either the following week or week after that.

Oh my goodness... we're going to be parents.

The appointment went well. I am at about 36 weeks, but am measuring at 41 (the measurements make me giggle at this point). Also, I'm already starting to dilate (another reality check). We find a comforting connection with our doctor. She shares her personal pregnancy details with us. Almost every issue we've had during this pregnancy mirror her own experiences during her two pregnancies. If I had the ability to create my own OB, like some sort of mad scientist, I couldn't come close to how great our doctor is.

Its been difficult lying around the house all day when I know there is so much we'd like to do to get ready for the baby's arrival. Fortunately, I have an incredible husband that takes care of these kinds of things. He doesn't complain about it, and he does it all eagerly - knowing that he is taking care of the baby and I each step of the way.

Below is a picture of the of the blanket that I started to knit. I took the picture with my phone, so the image quality isn't the best. Its a ribbed, super soft throw that is kind of a brick red color. I thought I'd be able to get it done by the time the baby came... but now its looking like I won't have as much time as I thought I would. Let me tell you - knitting isn't as easy as you'd think it would be while lying down.

S

7 comments:

  1. why aren't you using your wedding present camera?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course we are... and everyone is always jealous of how awesome that camera is. :) I just happened to take that pic for you that one time I was trying to show you that you were having a better time (at the beach) than me on bedrest... hehe... :)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shauna! Its Nan from WoW. Was talking with Greg yesterday and I asked about you....he pointed me to your blog. I've just spent the last hour or so reading the entire site! It's so uplifting to read your entries. Pregnancy, and motherhood too I'm certain, definitely agree with you!

    Where's my manners? Congrats on the pregnancy first and foremost. Glad to see things have gone fairly well for you despite the concerns from time to time. I had the glucose test not go well too and had to do the 2nd one (mine was fine) so I know how we can really work ourselves into a worrisome state. Won't be long (can we say days now?)and you and Jeff will have your bundle of nose kisses and toe tickles.

    Glad to see that you are happy and doing well, I'll be lurking watching for baby pics.

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan!! What a great surprise - you put a huge smile on my face! It's so great to hear from you... it's been way too long! Thanks for peeking in on me! I hope all is great with you. Are you still playing WoW?

    Its always comforting to hear when other people have had similar pregnancy experiences. You are so right that we get ourselves worked up, when things end up just fine in the end! Don't be a stranger, k?

    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! To me there is nothing better than holding a new born baby. They have the sweetest breath and softest skin. It makes me want another baby, of course only if they stayed little and never grew up to be little stinkerpots.
    I love the blankie you are making, someday I need to learn to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha that blanket I first thought was meat hanging lol- I am so excited for you both and you are so talented to knit like you do! So have you thought of boy names yet? I still think it will be a girl, but just curious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear that you won't have to suffer through the whole 40 weeks. We can't wait that long to know what it is anyway. Our baby is still breach as of Wednesday and I know he still hasn't moved since. I guess he might be a little early as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails