Thursday, December 13, 2012

Miracles

Recently, one of Norah's PICU nurses whom I consider a friend, clipped a quote from a magazine for me. I'd like to share it with you:
It is a miracle if you can find true friends, and it is a miracle if you have enough food to eat, and it is a miracle if you get to spend your days and evenings doing whatever it is you like to do, and the holiday season - like all the other seasons - is a good time not only to tell stories of miracles, but to think about the miracles in your own life, and to be grateful for them.
     -Lemony Snicket, The Lump of Coal
Today I was thinking about my miracles; just about every blog post of mine shares a sampling of them with my readers. It is well known that Norah is our miracle. She touches the lives of everyone she meets. She inspires while instilling happiness, hope, and love. But as I thought about this quote, I realized something else too. That while Norah survives and thrives during these hardships, that Harper is our miracle, too. Call it luck, science, fate, or divine, it is a miracle that Harper landed on the other half of that 50/50 chance of inheriting the same skeletal dysplasia that Norah did. And while I didn't go into detail with him, I told him this today. I squeezed him tight and explained that he is a true miracle, something totally amazing and priceless. It is a miracle that we have two strong, beautiful children.

Jeff is a miracle, too. I can't imagine what would have happened if he had been born as severely effected as Norah. Medical advances sure have come a long way. Those are miracles, too (shout out to science!) And all of the things that led to Jeff and I meeting, then leading to our falling in love... true love... is a miracle. I know this is all super sappy, and super cheeseballs, but I'm going to share another quote that made me feel a bit emotional, from one of my current favorite TV shows, Once Upon A Time. I like to think that this explains why Harper and Norah are so incredible:
...what you are: the product of true love. That's why you're powerful. 
      -Mr. Gold, Once Upon a Time
We all have everyday miracles that we should be thankful for, big and small. What are yours? 

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful for my family as well. I have 7 amazing kids. I was blessed to have 2 biologically, adopt 1, and marry into the other 4. My life is crazy, and it's hectic, but it's mine. Every day, I see the effects of a birth mother who didn't bother to take care of her body (or the life she was creating). I take on the challenges that she wasn't able to, and I love that boy more than I can find words to describe. I'm thankful for a husband who can read my mind, and understands me when nobody else seems to. I'm thankful for patience, and how much my kids teach me about the kind of people we should all try to be. The list could go on and on. For today, I'm thankful for hugs. A good hug can make my day, and sometimes it's just what I need.
    I am so happy that you have been blessed with your sweet little ones. It's amazing how much our kids can inspire us, and teach us the life lessons we can't get any other way. I hope your holiday plans are still looking good, and that you get some awesome family time together. I continue to think of you often. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails