Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Big Little Step

We, along with Norah's doctors, have have had multiple discussions about Norah's long-term plan. As I've probably mentioned before, Norah has another year (give or take) before she will be big enough to give the home ventilator a try. Her pulmonologist agrees that the thought of an 18-month(ish) Norah in the ICU is a sad thought indeed. All along, I've truly believed that she'll be weaned before she's big enough for the home vent.

Well, we took a big little step today. I spoke with this week's attending physician (who knows Norah well), and we decided she was ready for her first trial off of the ventilator today. We went into this with few to no expectations. We would see how she did, and put her back on the moment she seemed like she had enough. How long did she last? Three minutes. 


Perhaps we need a little perspective here. Aside from very brief disconnections from the ventilator (both intentional and accidental), Norah hasn't been off the ventilator since she was trach'd at six weeks old. She'll be nine months old on Friday. These three minutes were hard work for her. She cried, looked a little scared, and got sweaty (as she always does when she's upset). But the big story here is that her lungs continued to move air well, and she didn't desat (lose oxygenation in her body). Once we put her back on, she was still working hard to breathe, but recovered quickly and went back to playing and smiling (photo above) even before the care team left the room.

So what does this mean? Well, I can tell you what it doesn't mean. It doesn't mean she's coming home tomorrow. It doesn't mean that we suddenly have a concrete plan laid out for her. We'll continue to work on building her tolerance for her time off the vent. This will likely be a long process, and will be the foundation for determining our next steps. Her safety is our number one concern. We also need to make sure we dont work her too hard, depleting all those calories that she needs to grow.

We will continue to be easy on the expectations. As always, Norah will tell us what she needs. It isn't always loud and clear, but we're doing our best. I'm so proud of Norah. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: she is the sweetest, strongest, most amazing person I know.

6 comments:

  1. That little step really is a big step! I cannot even imagine her cute little face so scared, but wow that is an a ha! Moment.. She is such a sweet little girl, you and Jeff are such great parents, I cannot even imagine how you 2 do it. Thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that makes me SO happy!!! I think you just made my night! She is such a strong sweet girl! Truly a strength that she passes along with that sweet smile of hers. I miss her (and you!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What FABULOUS progress! Every little milestone is to be celebrated and as you said 3 minutes does not sound a lot but I'm sure we would all feel it if the air we breathe ourselves were limited for that time. I think she sounded like she handled it all very well regarding the full circumstance of relying on that machine for over 6 months. Norah is doing a great job and I am really pleased for all of you to read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so excited when you told me she made it 3 minutes. And that's a full minute longer than Aaron's been able to do. I think it's totally awesome! I'm so glad I know you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww. this is so sweet. this is cousin sarah. my mom marion told me about your blog. i'm so glad she is doing this much better. it sounds like a huge step to me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails