Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hibernating

I had been hoping it wouldn't come to this, but it looks like it has become necessary, if not critical. This flu season is becoming progressively aggressive, so we're going to have to make sure that everyone that comes in close contact with Norah, or even in our house, is up to date on their flu vaccine.

The truth is, I didn't get my first flu shot until I was pregnant with Norah. After her diagnosis, my doctors stressed that she could have respiratory issues (ha!), so we needed to make sure our family was protected. I have received the shot every year since, and so have Harper, Jeff, and Norah.

In our lives we are always weighing risk and benefit. Some people have allergies or sensitivities that result in a choice against the flu vaccine. (You can get a preservative-free version, though there are other allergens too.) Others may not fully understand what can happen if they get ill. I truly hope that everyone does research on both sides of the topic to make a fully educated decision on whether or not vaccination is right for them. A good place to start is the CDC's website. We understand that our family lives in this unique world where we are apt to hear more scary details about what the flu can do to otherwise healthy, youthful people (hospitalization, heart and lung ventilation, even death).

I just know that for my family, we need to increase our "herd immunity". Jeff and I have decided that, for our family, we cannot afford risks. I will not tell anyone that they should or shouldn't get the vaccine. I may tell them to consider it, but I will not tell anyone that they have to. However, our company will be contingent on it. Our family has had to live in separate places for far too long to have to take any unnecessary risk of having to live that way again. For those that do not vaccinate, we still hope to keep in touch via other means, and look forward to coming out of hibernation in April!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails