Monday, July 5, 2010

Amigurumi Banana

Harper loves bananas. Lately, he's less interested in eating bananas and more interested in opening it, taking a few bites, peeling it a bit more, and saying "na-na" over and over again. I thought it'd be fun if I knit a banana for him. I was so excited to use up a little of my acrylic yarn stash, so whipped up an amigurumi banana in no time.

It even comes completely out of the peel. Jeff and I were excited to give it to him the morning after it came off my size 3 double pointed needles. I wish I had taken a video of it. After breakfast, I told him, "Harper, I have a suprise for you!" I brought the amigurumi banana out from behind my back. He shouted "Na-na!!!!!" with his usual banana-induced excitement. He ran towards me, eyes fixed on the banana. He opened his mouth to take in about a quarter of the banana, biting down hard. He paused, looking down with confusion. Unsure of what to do, he finally spit it out and pushed the toy away. He threw a complete fit. Perhaps he thought we tricked him on purpose, or maybe he was just disappointed. Next time I'll put a squeaker in it. Maybe I'll embroider a happy face on it so he better understands that it's supposed to be a toy. Even now, a week later, he still wants nothing to do with the fraud of a banana.
Related Posts with Thumbnails