Thursday, July 24, 2014

Bare Neck

Tonight I saw Jeff doing something that I find myself doing quite often. He and Norah were playing on the floor, when he casually lifted her hair up off of her neck. "Are you admiring her bare neck," I asked him. He sure was. We both do it. We look at her in awe. No trach ties. No trach. No ventilator. No ointments, no skin breakdown, no trach smell. No secretions, no suction catheter, no drain sponges, no CPT. No more hoarding ten different types of wound care products. No more hoarding medical supplies at all in fear that we will run out (which you better believe happened and was AWFUL). I could go on and on.

Truthfully though, while we had it, the trach wasn't so bad. Neither was the vent. I'd go as far as to say that I loved them both. Without them, Norah wouldn't be alive today. Yet we sure love admiring how far we've come. The girl who was stuck in the hospital for 23 months on an ICU-only ventilator took less than a year to shake her life support. Life is good, and we're sure to notice those little things that make it so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails