Thursday, October 14, 2010

Couch to 5K: Week 7 done!

It's official: I can now run for 25 minutes straight without stopping. In fact, Emily and I found that we can run for more like 40 minutes when we I missed the audio alert to turn around at the halfway mark. We're still plugging along, and I'm still really enjoying it. I worry that I'm overtraining, as my HR monitor tells me I'm spending most of my time in zones 4 & 5 (80-90% and 90-100%), which is no bueno for my fitness goals. I need to figure out how to slow my HR down. Going any slower would likely be considered a brisk walk, and I don't want to do that just yet. At least not right now. Maybe once I finish C25k, I'll try 30 minute runs accompanied by 30 minute brisk walks or something. We'll see. All I know is that I need to do something to bring my HR down. Maybe it'll just lower on its own as my heart and body get stronger.

As the temperature drops, I find it more and more difficult to get out of my warm, cozy bed in the morning. But I remind myself that I have reason to celebrate. I have not missed a single run in 7 full weeks. I have gotten my lazy butt out of bed three times a week. Most of those times have been a good deal before even the suggestion of dawn. For me, it always seemed like I'd only get out of bed early by chance of some miraculous effort. Turns out, I just needed the proper determination and inspiration.

On to week 8, where we run 28 minutes sandwiched between our 5-minute warm-ups and cool-downs. Bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails